I recorded this episode the day after returning from the 2018 North American Conference in Victoria British Columbia. This was my fourth IAP2 conference and easily, the best I have yet attended.
The Conference was at capacity, having sold out almost two months in advance. And the sessions were thought provoking and engaging – literally engaging, with several of the sessions taking advantage of professional facilitators as moderators to actively engage the audience as participants to make the session topics more relevant to their everyday experiences.
On the last afternoon of the conference, I sat down for an interview with outgoing IAP2 Canada President Bruce Gilbert. Bruce was first elected President of IAP2 Canada in 2015 and, this year, after leading the organization for three years, he is stepping down. Bruce’s term was marked by some significant advances for IAP2 in Canada – growth in membership, two North American conferences in Montreal and Victoria, the introduction of a new professional certification program, and the first-ever Canadian learning symposium held in February this year in Gatineau Quebec.
During our conversation, we spoke about
- The growth of IAP2 Canada’s membership at a time that many organizations are seeing declining growth;
- The reasons that the growth in IAP2 Canada’s membership has been greatest in Western Canada while the east has lagged – and what can be done to promote growth in the east;
- The first Canadian skill symposium as a harbinger of an increasing emphasis at the region level to skills and expertise transference;
- The importance of IAP2 Canada providing a training program that is provided in both English and French;
- The importance of the new certification program and the challenge of promoting it to practitioners and employers;
- And his next challenge? Bruce is staying active in IAP2 as Canada’s rep on the IAP2 Federation, where he will continue to participate in the change exercise. And beyond that, as a former senior official in the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, Bruce wants to reach out other senior government officials to prozelityze the merits and benefits of senior participation.
Check out these sources that provide context for this week’s discussion.
It’s your turn
Inside P2 is produced by Joseph Thornley. I’d love to know what you think about the topics in this podcast, topics you’d like me to cover in future podcasts and people you’d like to hear from.
- Leave a comment at the bottom of this blog post
- Join the Inside P2 Facebook Group
- Tweet to @InsideP2Podcast
- Email [email protected]
- Subscribe in Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe in Google Play Music
- Subscribe in Spotify
Reviews help others to find this podcast. If you like this podcast, please review Inside P2 on Apple Podcasts.
IAP2 Canada President Bruce Gilbert on three years of achievements and what’s next (Inside P2 012) by Joseph Thornley is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.